STRATOLAS is a complete epitaxy system that is specifically designed and optimized for TLE. This allows for a small chamber design with a minimum number of parts inside the vacuum space. The system is equipped with our CO2 laser substrate heater and can handle up to 5 different elemental sources.
- Growth chamber with 5 target positions
- Storage chamber for 9 substrate and target holders
- Small and fast load-lock
- Process monitoring with cameras
- Laser safety at class 1 level
- Direct laser substrate heating
- RHEED monitoring
- Multiple gas inlets
- Base pressure in the 10-9 mbar range
- Growth up to 10-2 mbar possible with control
- Integrated water cooling
- Direct user control of all experimental parameters
- Reliable safety interlock system
- Process control software
- STRATOLAS 5: 5 by 5 mm2
- STRATOLAS 10: 10 by 10 mm2
- STRATOLAS 25: 1 inch
- STRATOLAS 50: 2 inch
- STRATOLAS 100: 4 inch
- Between 1 and 5 sources
- Infrared vs green source lasers
- CO2 or infrared laser substrate heating
- No RHEED system
- Options for gas inlets, e.g., ozone, nitrogen cracker
- Additional storage
- Connection to other vacuum clusters
With THERMALAS, substrate heating takes minutes instead of hours. It gives you higher temperatures and faster ramp up/down rates. For low temperatures, it’s better than others. For high temperature, it’s the only choice.
You can use our THERMALAS substrate heater to upgrade your existing PLD or Sputter vacuum chamber. And you can use it later as a core component for our STRATOLAS TLE system.
Laser heating enables high substrate temperatures in an ultraclean environment. Our solution ensures light is absorbed well by all common substrate materials. It also minimizes contamination of the substrates, e.g. from glues or metal contacts. Furthermore, extremely high temperatures and fast ramp rates are possible because only the substrate is heated. The substrate holder always remains much colder than the substrate because the absorption of our laser light by metals is small. The figure above shows an example of a sapphire crystal at T = 1700 ℃.
- Temperatures up to 2000 ℃
- Ramp rates up to 400 ℃/s
- Substrate size from 5 to 100 mm
- Temperature stability 1 – 5 ℃
- High dynamic range (> 3 orders of magnitude)
- Temperature control by an on-axis pyrometer
- Pyrometers optimized for typical substrates
- Circular top-hat power distribution with variable central depression
- Homogeneous temperature across the substrate
- Substrate rotation possible
- Beam alignment during operation
- Hermetically closed beamline
- Stable and robust
- High level of laser safety
- 10.000.000 cycles.
- 10-10 mbar during operation.
- 50 – 200 mm travel distance.
- Compact design.
- Pneumatic or electric actuation.